Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thing #15 - Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

The statement in the video "When I graduate I will probably have a job that does not exist today." really stood out for me. It is something that has been mentioned at several of the PLTW professional development meetings. As an educator that is a scary idea and really drives home the importance of teaching the kids to think. We need to be careful to use technology as the vehicle to get to a destination - not as the destination. Teach the process not the program because the reality is whatever technology we have now in our classrooms will be a dinosaur when the student hits the workforce - if it isn't so already.

I love libraries. They were my preferred playground as a child. Being surrounded by books and the ability to peruse the titles, read a little here and there to find just the right book is a wonderful tactile experience. I would hate to see that experience be lost. It reminds me of a Star Trek scene were they were discussing the luxury of owning a paper book. The fact is change happens and the library of my childhood is vanishing. I think modern library should be like a well designed home, containing enough items from the past to keep it familiar, warm, and comfy but with enough modern stuff to make life easier.

No comments: